NCERT Solutions of Chapter: Forests: Our Lifeline. NCERT Solutions along with worksheets and notes for Class 7.
(1) Explain how animals dwelling in the forest help it grow and regenerate.
Ans-The animals disperse the seeds of certain plants through their dung and help the forest to grow and regenerate. The animal’s dung also provides nutrients to the seedlings to grow.
(2) Explain how forests prevent floods.
Ans-Forests prevent floods because rainwater does not stagnate in the forests. The flow of raindrops is intercepted by canopy and most of the water coming down through branches and the stems of the tree. The forests also act as absorber of rain water and allow it to seep. It helps to maintain the water table throughout the year. But, in the absence of trees, rain will hit the ground directly. It may cause the flood.
(3) What are the decomposers? Name any two of them. What do they do in the forest?
Ans- The micro organisms which convert the dead plants and animals to humus are known as decomposers. Fungi and algae are two decomposers. They help to provide nutrients to the plants by converting decaying and plants to humus.
(4) Explain the role of forest in maintaining the balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Ans-The trees of forests released oxygen and take carbon dioxide in from environment in the process of photosynthesis. In this way, they help to provide oxygen for animals’ respiration. So, forests play a great role in maintaining the balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
(5) Explain why there is no waste in a forest.
Ans-There is no waste in forests because waste is converted in to humus by micro – organism. Humus ensures the returning of nutrients to the soil.
(6) List five products we get from forests?
Ans–List of five forest Products is given below-
(7) Fill in the blanks:
(a) The insects, butterflies, honeybees and birds help flowering plants in _____.
(b) A forest is a purifier of ___ and ____.
(c) Herbs form the_____ layer in the forest.
(d) The decaying leaves and animal droppings in a forest enrich the ______.
(a) The insects, butterflies, honeybees and birds help flowering plants in forests.
(b) A forest is a purifier of air and water.
(c) Herbs form the lowest layer in the forest.
(d) The decaying leaves and animal droppings in a forest enrich the soil.
(8) Why should we worry about the conditions and issues related to forests far from us?
Ans- Reasons to take care of our forests are given below-
(i) Decrease in the forest area will lead to increase in carbon dioxide in the environment, which is harmful for humans and animals.
(ii)Forest cutting will increase soil erosion, which decline fertility of soil.
(iii)Floods may increase after loss of trees.
(iv)Ecological chain will disturb, if trees will cut.
(v)Water level will slow down if we have less forest.
(9) Explain why there is a need of animals and plants in a forest.
Ans-There is a variety of animals, plants and organism in the forests. All of them are necessary for the forest. Plants are food of herbivores and herbivores are food for carnivore animals. Organism and micro – organism provide nutrition to soil. Even, tribal people depend upon forests for their food and shelter. So, there is need of animals and plants in a forest.
(10) In fig. given below, the artist has forgotten to put the labels and directions on the arrows. Mark the directions on the arrows and label the diagram using the following labels:Clouds, rain, atmosphere, carbon dioxide, oxygen, plants, animals, soil, roots, water table.
Ans- The labels and directions of arrow are showing on the figure:
(11) Which of the following is not a forest product?
(iii) Sealing wax
(12) Which of the following statements is not correct?
(i) Forests protect the soil from erosion.
(ii) Plants and animals in a forest are not dependent on one another.
(iii) Forests influence the climate and water cycle.
(iv) Soil helps forests to grow and regenerate.
(ii) Plants and animals in a forest are not dependent on one another. √
(13) Micro organisms act upon the dead plants to produce