NCERT Solutions of Chapter: The Road Not Taken. NCERT Solutions along with worksheets and notes for Class 9.
Thinking about the poem
(1) Where does the traveller find himself? What problem does he face?
Ans- The traveller find himself at the diversion of roads.
He is facing problem of choice. He is standing at the point where roads divided in two roads and he is thinking to choose one road.
(2) Discuss what these phrases mean to you.
(i) a yellow wood
(ii) it was grassy and wanted wear
(iii) the passing there
(iv) leaves no step had trodden black
(v) how way leads on to way
(i) a yellow wood – According to poem yellow refers to autumn and wood stands for forest. Therefore, yellow wood means forest in autumn season.
(ii) it was grassy and wanted wear –
The road is full of grass and it looks like nobody has step on it.
(iii) the passing there –
Poet is walking on the path chosen by him.
(iv) leaves no step had trodden black-
Leaves are green and fresh because no one has put his feet on the leaves. If someone has walked on the leaves they would have turn black.
(v) how way leads on to way-
The road which we choose has other way also and these ways has other ways. It means if we start some work we find our way.
(3) Is there any difference between the two roads as the poet describes them
(i) in stanzas two and three?
(ii) in the last two lines of the poem?
(i) Difference in stanza two
One road is green and no one has walked on it.
Difference in third stanza
The leaves are fresh and no body stepped on them. This road has many ways to reach on destination.
(ii) Difference in last two lines-
The poet chooses less travelled road which makes all the difference.
(4) What do you think the last two lines of the poem mean? (Looking back, does the poet regret his choice or accept it?)
Poet is happy that he has chosen the less travelled path because it makes successful path for him.
(1) Have you ever had to make a difficult choice (or do you think you will have difficult choices to make)? How will you make the choice (for what reasons)?
We have to make difficult choices in our life.
I choose my choice after thinking all possibilities of execution of it because successful execution of the choice is the key for success in life.
(2) After you have made a choice do you always think about what might have been, or do you accept the reality?
After making any decision I do not regret or rethink about it because every choice has many ways to get success. Therefore, I stick to my decision and accept the reality.