NCERT Solutions of Chapter: Rain On The Roof. NCERT Solutions along with worksheets and notes for Class 9.
Thinking about the Poem
(I) (1) What do the following phrases mean to you? Discuss in class
(i) humid shadows
(ii) starry spheres
(iii) what a bliss
(iv) a thousand dreamy fancies into busy being start
(v) a thousand recollections weave their air – threads into woof
(i) humid shadows – clouds with water
(ii) starry spheres – stars I n sky
(iii) what a bliss – very happy
(iv) a thousand dreamy fancies into busy being start – The sound of rain drop start many imagination in the the poet.
(v) a thousand recollections weave their air – threads into woof –
Many memories come and collected as a woven cloth.
(2) What does the poet like to do when it rains?
Ans- The poet wants to keep his head on pillow and relax on his bad.
(3) What is the single major memory that comes to the poet? Who are the “darling dreamers” he refers to?
Ans- The poet remember his mother who used to allow his siblings and him to sleep till dawn. He refers to “darling dreamers” as siblings.
(4) Is the poet now a child? Is his mother still alive?
Ans- The poet is not a child now.
No, his mother is not alive now.
(II)(1) When you were a young child, did your mother tuck you in , as the poet’s did?
Ans – yes
(2) Do you like rain? What do you do when it rains steadily or heavily as described in the poem?
Ans- Yes, I do like rain. I relax at home. I have pakora with tea and watch rain.
(3) Does everybody have a cosy bed to lie in when it rains? Look around you and describe how different kinds of people or animals spend time, seek shelter etc. during rain.
Ans- Everybody does not have a cosy bed to lie in when it rains. Poor people who do not have home take shelter under trees, under verandah of shops or any place where they can keep themselves safe from rain.
Street animals like cow, dogs, monkeys also take shelter under tree. Pet animals have their space to stay safe from rain.